Subject: Re: [bug#65636] [PATCH] gnu: git: Update to 2.42.0.

From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:31:04 -0400

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 4:15 AM Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 at 19:03, Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (git): Update to 2.42.0.
> > ---
> >  gnu/packages/version-control.scm | 6 +++---
> >  1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>
> This change implies a lot of rebuilds – more than the QA threshold.
>
> So I have applied and rebuilt all the packages (for x86_64 only, which
> is already something for my resources :-)) listed by “guix refresh -l
> git git-minimal”.  This update breaks these 9 packages:
>
>         conan
>         nototools
>         python-bash-kernel
>         python-clinguin
>         python-h3
>         python-jwst
>         python-keras
>         python-poliastro
>         python-telingo
>
> Could you give a look?

python-jwst and python-poliastro fail to build for me on master
(c96ea941) due to test failures with floating point precision.

The remaining packages build successfully against this git 2.42 patch:
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build conan nototools python-bash-kernel
python-clinguin python-h3 python-keras python-telingo
/gnu/store/5lpypnafi7akb9yya82l29x4zrkgsw1v-python-telingo-2.1.1
/gnu/store/d7hmxpipghw74v4bdk3gy1xq0k789a8q-python-keras-2.3.1
/gnu/store/rq51438czgcab9d9vp0wl09k4myvbkj8-python-h3-4.0.0b2
/gnu/store/smrfjip766ifrcf3pzsfbjzp4hdsabd1-python-clinguin-1.0.0-beta
/gnu/store/z0fzl2g7pdp94hdpq5llmjlq20v5wfl2-python-bash-kernel-0.7.2
/gnu/store/8xymw6wdw782z35djznx8ssqszfb4lff-nototools-0.2.16
/gnu/store/n8v7xm47cawirwdmll79ismdzlwja54w-conan-2.0.9

> Well, considering the current model for merging, this change could
> directly go to master (and avoid a core-updates cycle) since CI should
> be able to handle the ~800 rebuilds.  However, I would prefer to avoid
> the introduction of breakages. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> simon