Subject: bug#65627: closed (Re: bug#65627: 28.2; erc-button-url-regexp does not recognise gophers://)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65627: 28.2; erc-button-url-regexp does not recognise gophers://

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65627: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65627
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65627: 28.2; erc-button-url-regexp does not recognise gophers://
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Troels Henriksen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:01:52 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

> The regex in
>
>   browse-url-button-regexp
>
> does not recognise the gophers:// protocol.  Similarly to https://,
> gophers:// is an encrypted variant of the venerable Gopher protocol.
> The gophers protocol is supported in curl and other programs that build
> on libcurl, and while I can customize `browse-url-button-regexp` myself,
> I think it would be useful for all Emacs users if Emacs recognised
> gophers:// directly.
>
> A fix is simple: just add 's?' after 'gopher' in the regexp.

Thanks for the bug report.

I see that it is supported by libcurl, here: https://curl.se/libcurl/
There is also FTPS, which we don't have in our regexp.

So I've now fixed this on the master branch (commit 9e2d5a013c9), and
I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; erc-button-url-regexp does not recognise gophers://
From: Troels Henriksen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:03:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The regex in

  browse-url-button-regexp

does not recognise the gophers:// protocol.  Similarly to https://,
gophers:// is an encrypted variant of the venerable Gopher protocol.
The gophers protocol is supported in curl and other programs that build
on libcurl, and while I can customize `browse-url-button-regexp` myself,
I think it would be useful for all Emacs users if Emacs recognised
gophers:// directly.

A fix is simple: just add 's?' after 'gopher' in the regexp.