Subject: Re: bug#65621: [PATCH] `dired-next-line' go to meaningful line

From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 20:51:16 +0000

Let's use this option to settle our differences:

    (defcustom dired-movement-style '((move . bounded)
                                      (skip-pathname
                                       . (empty-line ...
                                          "regexp1" "regexp2" ...)))
      "..."
      ...)
    ;; 1. change `bounded' to `cycle' to use the 'wrap-around'.
    ;; 2. symbol (empty-line or hearder) appears in the second CDR
    ;;    means skip the corresponding lines.
    ;; 3. if the pathname matches any regexp, that line will be
    ;;    skipped.

Drew wants to skip the current directory and the parent directory;
someone (one of my classmates) said I should make it skip LICENSE
because this file won't be touched again in the subsequent development
process;
I speculate that some people will also suggest that ".git" should be
skipped.  They may say most people will never delve into this folder,
though it needs to be displayed to indicate that the current directory
is a Git repository (although there are other ways to remind of this).

So I decided to withdraw from the argument.  Making decisions for
users has no benefits for me.  People have their own thoughts; just
let them set the option themselves.

Any suggestion, Stefan and Drew?