Subject: Re: bug#65621: [PATCH] `dired-next-line' go to meaningful line

From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 17:29:11 +0000

> Stefan:
> I like the option `dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line', which seems
> to both add wrap-around and make the feature as a whole optional.

Thx!  Yes, to use the `wrap-around' you mentioned, just set the option
to `cycle'.

> Stefan:
> But in Emacs, we say "point" rather than "cursor", so we'd have to
> change that.  I suggest naming it `dired-movement-style'.

OK.

> Drew:
> there's no need for "cursor" in the option name.

I'll try not to mention cursor/point in docstring when possible.

> Drew:
> The doc should say that it affects only commands
> `dired-(next|previous)-line'.

Yeah, docstring should state it.

> Drew:
> FWIW, for vanilla Dired, lines `.' and `..' are generally
> "meaningless".

You can discard them by setting `dired-listing-switches' to an
appropriate value if you don't like them.  The value is passed to the
program `ls'.  On MS-Windows things seem to be a little different, not
sure.

___

To sum up, new patch will provide an option which controls the style
of moving point.

--
Responses may be delayed as I have classes during the day
(UTC+8, not 0, contrary to what my email program indicates).