Subject: Re: bug#65621: [PATCH] `dired-next-line' go to meaningful line

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 23:35:26 +0200

Shynur Xie <[email-masked]> writes:

> The final patch is attached.  (See the end for how to test it.)

Thanks.

> There is totally 4 (not 6) kinds of combinations of the 2 new options:
>
>   1. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'bounded
>            dired-headerline-is-meaningful nil)
>   2. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'cycle
>            dired-headerline-is-meaningful nil)
>   3. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'bounded
>            dired-headerline-is-meaningful t)
>   4. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'cycle
>            dired-headerline-is-meaningful t)

I'll review your patch in detail as soon as I can find some time.
Just two initial comments:

I like the option `dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line', which seems to
both add wrap-around and make the feature as a whole optional.  But in
Emacs, we say "point" rather than "cursor", so we'd have to change
that.  I suggest naming it `dired-movement-style', or something along
those lines.

But is `dired-headerline-is-meaningful' really needed?  It seems like
an unnecessary complication.