Subject: Re: bug#65621: [PATCH] `dired-next-line' go to meaningful line

From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 05:45:29 +0000

> Stefan:
> I'd probably enable it if we had such an option, FWIW.

Thank you!

> Stefan:
> But Drew's point about inserted subdirs would need to be addressed.
> My ideal behavior in that case is that it jumps to the file in the
> next/previous directory.

> Dradams:
> At most it should move to the subdir header line, skipping only the
> blank line before it.

Let's make thing simple:

    I'll fix the inserting subdirs case, and make this an optional
    feature which is disabled by default.

> Dradams:
> It could be argued that the blank lines that precede headings of
> inserted subdirs could be skipped over.  But it should _definitely_
> move to the header lines themselves.

You can move anywhere you want _easily_ no matter whether this feature
is enabled.  As I said before:

> shynur:
> Just use mouse, `{forward,backward}-{char,word}',
> `{previous,next}-line', etc.  Anyway, I just changed the definition
> of `dired-next-line', so actually users have many ways to do what
> they want.

___

I've started rewriting; this shouldn't be too difficult.