Subject: Re: bug#65606: Cuirass Compute Guix Derivation Bug

From: "Karl G. Hallsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:39:40 -0600

> The problem occurred while downloading a substitute, so it seems to be a
> bug in 'guix substitute'.  Perhaps related to a network problem that was
> not correctly handled.

That might be it. I have completely forgotten what this submission was
about or how I hit it. The only other pieces of information I can
provide is that Cuirass instance is running in a VM on Proxmox and that
I am using the default build mode with the local daemon. This machine is
CI for my personal projects and channels, so a single machine is enough
for building those.

I think this was a transient issue. Doing a "herd restart cuirass" fixed
it, I think.

I have not seen this issue again, though I have seen others with
Cuirass. These new issues do not belong in this thread though.

> The backtrace is not super useful... I wonder how we could change
> that.

Getting better backtraces for Cuirass-issued Guix commands would be
amazing! There are some instances, like this one, where the backtrace
does not help much.

--
Raven Hallsby