Subject: 30.0.50; eshell-test/{elisp,subcommand}-reset-in-pipeline fails intermittently on macOS

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 21:37:14 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

Please find below two more intermittent test failures on macOS.  I
chose to report it separately in the hope that it would make it easier
for you to track, but please merge with one or both of the other bug
reports if it makes more sense.

   passed   1/18  eshell-test/command-running-p (0.067725 sec)
[echo]+ Done (/bin/echo hi)
   passed   2/18  eshell-test/eshell-command/background (0.174720 sec)
[echo]+ Done (/bin/echo hi)
[cat]+ Done (/bin/cat)
   passed   3/18  eshell-test/eshell-command/background-pipeline (0.134142 sec)
   passed   4/18  eshell-test/eshell-command/pipeline (0.074275 sec)
   passed   5/18  eshell-test/eshell-command/simple (0.060042 sec)
   passed   6/18  eshell-test/flush-output (0.003668 sec)
   passed   7/18  eshell-test/forward-arg (0.001930 sec)
   passed   8/18  eshell-test/get-old-input (0.001804 sec)
   passed   9/18  eshell-test/get-old-input/rerun-command (0.012261 sec)
   passed  10/18  eshell-test/get-old-input/run-output (0.007978 sec)
Test eshell-test/lisp-reset-in-pipeline backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (eshell-command-result--equal comma
  ert-fail(((should (eshell-command-result--equal command (eshell-test
  eshell-command-result-equal("echo (format \"%s\" eshell-in-pipeline-
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0xaa4ecd674724b29>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name eshell-test/lisp-reset-in-pipeline :d
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector (not ...) :tests [...
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/eshell-tests"
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test eshell-test/lisp-reset-in-pipeline condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (eshell-command-result--equal command
                     (eshell-test-command-result command)
                     result))
      :form
      (eshell-command-result--equal
       "echo (format \"%s\" eshell-in-pipeline-p) | *cat" nil "nil")
      :value nil :explanation
      (nonequal-result
       (command "echo (format \"%s\" eshell-in-pipeline-p) | *cat")
       (result nil) (expected "nil"))))
   FAILED  11/18  eshell-test/lisp-reset-in-pipeline (0.014149 sec) at
lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.el:101
   passed  12/18  eshell-test/pipe-headproc (0.119374 sec)
   passed  13/18  eshell-test/pipe-headproc-stdin (0.737941 sec)
   passed  14/18  eshell-test/pipe-subcommand (0.118841 sec)
   passed  15/18  eshell-test/pipe-subcommand-with-pipe (0.138578 sec)
   passed  16/18  eshell-test/pipe-tailproc (0.115676 sec)
   passed  17/18  eshell-test/queue-input (1.032341 sec)
Test eshell-test/subcommand-reset-in-pipeline backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (eshell-command-result--equal comma
  ert-fail(((should (eshell-command-result--equal command (eshell-test
  eshell-command-result-equal("echo {echo | echo $eshell-in-pipeline-p
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1a44586e0e96bde8>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name eshell-test/subcommand-reset-in-pipel
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/eshell-tests"
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test eshell-test/subcommand-reset-in-pipeline condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (eshell-command-result--equal command
                     (eshell-test-command-result command)
                     result))
      :form
      (eshell-command-result--equal
       "echo {echo | echo $eshell-in-pipeline-p} | *cat" nil "last")
      :value nil :explanation
      (nonequal-result
       (command "echo {echo | echo $eshell-in-pipeline-p} | *cat")
       (result nil) (expected "last"))))
   FAILED  18/18  eshell-test/subcommand-reset-in-pipeline (0.179328
sec) at lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.el:82

Ran 18 tests, 16 results as expected, 2 unexpected (2023-08-29
20:58:56+0200, 3.768912 sec)

2 unexpected results:
   FAILED  eshell-test/lisp-reset-in-pipeline
   FAILED  eshell-test/subcommand-reset-in-pipeline

make[3]: *** [lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.log] Error 1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.8 (Build 21G725)) of 2023-08-28 built on
 MY-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 7a55d7e8684c02551feb17168047c9
192478e5a0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.8

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36151 9219) (symbols 48 5093 0) (strings 32 12636 1004)
 (string-bytes 1 352850) (vectors 16 9370)
 (vector-slots 8 147689 12388) (floats 8 21 23) (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 10))