Subject: bug#65602: 30.0.50; eshell-test/{elisp,subcommand}-reset-in-pipeline fails intermittently on macOS

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:33:25 -0700

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I spoke too soon, as I'm now seeing the below two failures.
>
>    FAILED   42/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices-subcommand (0.787189 sec) at lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.el:184
>
>    FAILED   5/11  eshell-test/eshell-command/simple (0.670351 sec) at lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.el:41

Here's another one I saw in another rerun:

   FAILED  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-external

Running 110 tests (2023-09-13 23:19:42+0200, selector ‘(not (or (tag
:expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :nativecomp)))’)
Loading em-alias...
Loading em-banner...
Loading em-basic...
Loading em-cmpl...
Loading em-extpipe...
Loading em-glob...
Loading em-hist...
Loading em-ls...
Loading em-pred...
Loading em-prompt...
Loading em-script...
Loading em-term...
Loading em-unix...
   passed    1/110  esh-var-test/alias/export (0.178462 sec)
   passed    2/110  esh-var-test/alias/function (0.003780 sec)
   passed    3/110  esh-var-test/alias/function-pair (0.004611 sec)
   passed    4/110  esh-var-test/alias/local-variables (0.006019 sec)
   passed    5/110  esh-var-test/alias/string (0.004543 sec)
   passed    6/110  esh-var-test/alias/string/prefer-lisp (0.002898 sec)
   passed    7/110  esh-var-test/alias/symbol (0.003406 sec)
   passed    8/110  esh-var-test/alias/symbol-pair (0.007461 sec)
   passed    9/110  esh-var-test/columns-var (0.012501 sec)
   passed   10/110  esh-var-test/command-interp (0.007292 sec)
   passed   11/110  esh-var-test/command-interp-splice (0.004153 sec)
   passed   12/110  esh-var-test/export (0.006411 sec)
   passed   13/110  esh-var-test/gid-var (0.002620 sec)
   passed   14/110  esh-var-test/inside-emacs-var (0.004839 sec)
   passed   15/110  esh-var-test/inside-emacs-var-split-indices (0.002154 sec)
   passed   16/110  esh-var-test/interp-cmd (0.004522 sec)
   passed   17/110  esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external (0.112656 sec)
   passed   18/110  esh-var-test/interp-cmd-external-indices (0.113898 sec)
   passed   19/110  esh-var-test/interp-cmd-indices (0.003645 sec)
   passed   20/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd (0.205057 sec)
Test esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-external backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form
  ert-fail(((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form (eshell-match-
  eshell-match-command-output("echo ${echo hi}-${*echo there}" "hi-the
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x498530d8d28fcbf>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-extern
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-external condition:
    Command logs: command: "echo ${echo hi}-${*echo there}"

                  ----------------------------------------
                  [process] started external process ‘echo’
                  ----------------------------------------
                  [process] sentinel for external process ‘echo’: "finished
                  "
                  ----------------------------------------
                  [process] finished external process ‘echo’
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form
      (eshell-match-output "hi-there\n") :value nil :explanation
      (mismatched-output (command "echo ${echo hi}-${*echo there}\n")
			 (output "hi-\n") (regexp "hi-there\n"))))
   FAILED   21/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-external (0.728591
sec) at lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.el:292
   passed   22/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd2 (0.004187 sec)
   passed   23/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-lisp (0.002859 sec)
   passed   24/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-lisp2 (0.004121 sec)
   passed   25/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-cmd-multiline (0.004131 sec)
   passed   26/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-cmd-number (0.001232 sec)
   passed   27/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-cmd-split-indices (0.005519 sec)
   passed   28/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-cmd-string-newline
(0.001249 sec)
   passed   29/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-quoted-var-number (0.003763 sec)
   passed   30/110
esh-var-test/interp-convert-quoted-var-split-indices (0.002441 sec)
   passed   31/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-var-number (0.004204 sec)
   passed   32/110  esh-var-test/interp-convert-var-split-indices (0.007541 sec)
   passed   33/110  esh-var-test/interp-lisp (0.003046 sec)
   passed   34/110  esh-var-test/interp-lisp-indices (0.003134 sec)
   passed   35/110  esh-var-test/interp-list-var (0.002291 sec)
   passed   36/110  esh-var-test/interp-list-var-concat (0.001819 sec)
   passed   37/110  esh-var-test/interp-quoted-var (0.003009 sec)
   passed   38/110  esh-var-test/interp-quoted-var-concat (0.003025 sec)
   passed   39/110  esh-var-test/interp-temp-cmd (0.013814 sec)
   passed   40/110  esh-var-test/interp-var (0.001271 sec)
   passed   41/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-assoc (0.004091 sec)
   passed   42/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices-subcommand (0.176522 sec)
   passed   43/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices/list (0.013073 sec)
   passed   44/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices/ring (0.011317 sec)
   passed   45/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices/split (0.011973 sec)
   passed   46/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-indices/vector (0.012646 sec)
   passed   47/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-length-alist (0.002014 sec)
   passed   48/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-length-list (0.005285 sec)
   passed   49/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-length-string (0.001555 sec)
   passed   50/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-regexp-split-indices (0.010098 sec)
   passed   51/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-splice (0.001259 sec)
   passed   52/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-splice-concat (0.002406 sec)
   passed   53/110  esh-var-test/interp-var-string-split-indices (0.009873 sec)
   passed   54/110  esh-var-test/last-arg-var (0.005632 sec)
   passed   55/110  esh-var-test/last-arg-var-indices (0.021506 sec)
   passed   56/110  esh-var-test/last-arg-var-split-indices (0.011228 sec)
   passed   57/110  esh-var-test/last-result-var (0.005804 sec)
   passed   58/110  esh-var-test/last-result-var-ext-cmd (0.226047 sec)
   passed   59/110  esh-var-test/last-result-var-split-indices (0.031719 sec)
   passed   60/110  esh-var-test/last-result-var-twice (0.004827 sec)
   passed   61/110  esh-var-test/last-status-var-ext-cmd (0.242608 sec)
   passed   62/110  esh-var-test/last-status-var-lisp-command (0.010839 sec)
   passed   63/110  esh-var-test/last-status-var-lisp-form (0.005407 sec)
   passed   64/110  esh-var-test/last-status-var-lisp-form-2 (0.006529 sec)
   passed   65/110  esh-var-test/lines-var (0.003589 sec)
   passed   66/110  esh-var-test/local-variables (0.023687 sec)
   passed   67/110  esh-var-test/pager-var/default (0.017587 sec)
   passed   68/110  esh-var-test/pager-var/set (0.087502 sec)
   passed   69/110  esh-var-test/pager-var/set-locally (0.012173 sec)
   passed   70/110  esh-var-test/pager-var/unset (0.005189 sec)
   passed   71/110  esh-var-test/path-var/local-directory (0.003602 sec)
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec sh -i’
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘SK-MacBook-Pro’
   passed   72/110  esh-var-test/path-var/preserve-across-hosts (0.866043 sec)
   passed   73/110  esh-var-test/path-var/remote-directory (0.083372 sec)
   passed   74/110  esh-var-test/path-var/set (0.014802 sec)
   passed   75/110  esh-var-test/path-var/set-locally (0.008608 sec)
   passed   76/110  esh-var-test/quote-interp-var-indices-subcommand
(0.236072 sec)
   passed   77/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-cmd (0.004823 sec)
   passed   78/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-cmd-indices (0.047686 sec)
   passed   79/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-concat-cmd (0.002995 sec)
   passed   80/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-cmd-multiline
(0.002892 sec)
   passed   81/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-cmd-number (0.002594 sec)
   passed   82/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-cmd-split-indices (0.002789 sec)
   passed   83/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-cmd-string-newline (0.005021 sec)
   passed   84/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-quoted-var-number (0.008607 sec)
   passed   85/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-quoted-var-split-indices (0.007789
sec)
   passed   86/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-var-number (0.002748 sec)
   passed   87/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-convert-var-split-indices (0.007919 sec)
   passed   88/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-lisp (0.001791 sec)
   passed   89/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-lisp-indices (0.003300 sec)
   passed   90/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-list-var (0.001912 sec)
   passed   91/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-list-var-concat (0.002009 sec)
   passed   92/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-quoted-var (0.003799 sec)
   passed   93/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-temp-cmd (0.017058 sec)
   passed   94/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var (0.001892 sec)
   passed   95/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-assoc (0.021957 sec)
   passed   96/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-indices (0.017924 sec)
   passed   97/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-length-alist (0.017236 sec)
   passed   98/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-length-list (0.006038 sec)
   passed   99/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-length-string (0.001831 sec)
   passed  100/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-regexp-split-indices (0.017895 sec)
   passed  101/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-splice (0.005310 sec)
   passed  102/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-splice-concat (0.002805 sec)
   passed  103/110  esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-split-indices (0.005452 sec)
   passed  104/110
esh-var-test/quoted-interp-var-string-split-indices (0.029075 sec)
   passed  105/110  esh-var-test/set/env-var (0.002507 sec)
   passed  106/110  esh-var-test/set/symbol (0.002819 sec)
   passed  107/110  esh-var-test/setq (0.005122 sec)
   passed  108/110  esh-var-test/uid-var (0.021527 sec)
   passed  109/110  esh-var-test/unset/env-var (0.002078 sec)
   passed  110/110  esh-var-test/unset/symbol (0.002711 sec)

Ran 110 tests, 109 results as expected, 1 unexpected (2023-09-13
23:19:46+0200, 4.193564 sec)

1 unexpected results:
   FAILED  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd-external

make[3]: *** [lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.log] Error 1