Subject: 30.0.50; esh-io-test/pipeline/all test fails intermittently on macOS

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 21:34:11 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

I see the below test failure on macOS. Just like the test failures in
bug#65590, it is intermittent.  Please merge with that bug if it makes
sense to do so.

   passed   1/34  esh-io-test/pipeline/all (0.198139 sec)
Test esh-io-test/pipeline/default backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (eshell-command-result--equal comma
  ert-fail(((should (eshell-command-result--equal command (eshell-test
  eshell-command-result-equal("test-output | rev" "stderr\ntuodts\n")
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x130681218a7c114e>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name esh-io-test/pipeline/default :documen
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector (not ...) :tests [...
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/esh-io-tests"
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test esh-io-test/pipeline/default condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (eshell-command-result--equal command
                     (eshell-test-command-result command)
                     result))
      :form
      (eshell-command-result--equal "test-output | rev" "stderr\n"
                    "stderr\ntuodts\n")
      :value nil :explanation
      (nonequal-result (command "test-output | rev") (result "stderr\n")
               (expected "stderr\ntuodts\n"))))
   FAILED   2/34  esh-io-test/pipeline/default (0.011208 sec) at
lisp/eshell/esh-io-tests.el:317
   passed   3/34  esh-io-test/pipeline/subcommands (0.121863 sec)
   passed   4/34  esh-io-test/redirect-all/append (0.005135 sec)
   passed   5/34  esh-io-test/redirect-all/insert (0.004604 sec)
   passed   6/34  esh-io-test/redirect-all/overwrite (0.003706 sec)
   passed   7/34  esh-io-test/redirect-buffer/append (0.002414 sec)
   passed   8/34  esh-io-test/redirect-buffer/escaped (0.004418 sec)
   passed   9/34  esh-io-test/redirect-buffer/insert (0.002980 sec)
   passed  10/34  esh-io-test/redirect-buffer/overwrite (0.002011 sec)
   passed  11/34  esh-io-test/redirect-copy (0.001981 sec)
   passed  12/34  esh-io-test/redirect-copy-first (0.001648 sec)
   passed  13/34  esh-io-test/redirect-file/append (0.014906 sec)
   passed  14/34  esh-io-test/redirect-file/insert (0.017718 sec)
   passed  15/34  esh-io-test/redirect-file/overwrite (0.012798 sec)
   passed  16/34  esh-io-test/redirect-marker (0.007815 sec)
   passed  17/34  esh-io-test/redirect-multiple (0.002239 sec)
   passed  18/34  esh-io-test/redirect-multiple/repeat (0.003042 sec)
   passed  19/34  esh-io-test/redirect-stderr/append (0.002181 sec)
   passed  20/34  esh-io-test/redirect-stderr/insert (0.002142 sec)
   passed  21/34  esh-io-test/redirect-stderr/overwrite (0.003745 sec)
   passed  22/34  esh-io-test/redirect-stdout (0.004385 sec)
   passed  23/34  esh-io-test/redirect-stdout-and-stderr (0.002192 sec)
   passed  24/34  esh-io-test/redirect-subcommands (0.002309 sec)
   passed  25/34  esh-io-test/redirect-subcommands/dev-null (0.003332 sec)
   passed  26/34  esh-io-test/redirect-subcommands/interpolated (0.002907 sec)
   passed  27/34  esh-io-test/redirect-subcommands/override (0.008438 sec)
   passed  28/34  esh-io-test/redirect-symbol/append (0.001997 sec)
   passed  29/34  esh-io-test/redirect-symbol/overwrite (0.047586 sec)
   passed  30/34  esh-io-test/redirect-symbol/with-function-slot (0.002080 sec)
   passed  31/34  esh-io-test/virtual/dev-eshell (0.002787 sec)
   passed  32/34  esh-io-test/virtual/dev-kill (0.010959 sec)
   passed  33/34  esh-io-test/virtual/dev-null (0.001967 sec)
   passed  34/34  esh-io-test/virtual/dev-null/multiple (0.006977 sec)

Ran 34 tests, 33 results as expected, 1 unexpected (2023-08-29
20:58:48+0200, 0.829026 sec)

1 unexpected results:
   FAILED  esh-io-test/pipeline/default

make[3]: *** [lisp/eshell/esh-io-tests.log] Error 1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.8 (Build 21G725)) of 2023-08-28 built on
 MY-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 7a55d7e8684c02551feb17168047c9
192478e5a0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.8

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36151 9219) (symbols 48 5093 0) (strings 32 12636 1004)
 (string-bytes 1 352850) (vectors 16 9370)
 (vector-slots 8 147689 12388) (floats 8 21 23) (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 10))