Subject: Re: [bug#65592] [PATCH]: Update sbcl to 2.3.8

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:03:27 +0000

André A. Gomes <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> SBCL 2.3.8 didn't build on riscv64, so instead version 2.3.7 is used for
>> now. It has been merged in master at
>> 4f35ff1275e05be31f5d41464ccf147e9dbfd016.
>> Let's close this issue and open a new one for a future update of SBCL
>> (maybe 2.3.9 will fix the build failure).
>
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Just for future reference, is there a way for me to check whether a SBCL
> builds on all platforms when sending a patch?  Thanks.

For x86_64, i686, aarch64, armhf and powerpc64le, you can check on
<https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/ISSUE-NUMBER>.

However so far the CI doesn't have builds for riscv64, because it
doesn't have riscv64 hardware. Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
has a riscv64 board with Guix on it, and he is the one who tried
building SBCL 2.3.8 and saw the failure.

If you are using a Guix system, you could also add the
qemu-binfmt-service-type to your system definition, which gives the
possibility to build packages for some other architectures with:

  guix build -s riscv64-linux PACKAGE-NAME

Unfortunately, qemu-binfmt has difficulties running SBCL on foreign
architectures, and building SBCL for aarch64 or riscv64 on a x86_64
machine fails with an error about a missing tty or something like that.
However, trying the build with qemu-binfmt can still be useful, because
if compilation fails before getting to the tty error, it usually
indicates that the package has an issue on this architecture.