Subject: 29.0.50; esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd fails on macOS

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:44:22 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

I see the below test failure on macOS:

Test esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd backtrace:
  signal(error ("echo: unrecognized option -b"))
  error("%s: unrecognized option -%c" "echo" 98)
  eshell--process-option("echo" "baz" 0 0 ((110 nil (nil) output-newli
  eshell--process-args("echo" ("-baz") ((110 nil (nil) output-newline
  eshell--do-opts("echo" ((110 nil (nil) output-newline "do not output
  eshell/echo("-baz")
  apply(eshell/echo "-baz")
  eshell-exec-lisp(eshell-print eshell-error eshell/echo ("-baz") nil)
  eshell-lisp-command(eshell/echo ("-baz"))
  eshell-plain-command("echo" ("-baz"))
  eshell-named-command("echo" ("-baz"))
  eval((eshell-named-command '"echo" '("-baz")))
  eshell-do-eval((eshell-named-command '"echo" '("-baz")) t)
  eshell-do-eval((prog1 (eshell-named-command '"echo" '("-baz")) (mapc
  (condition-case err (eshell-do-eval '(prog1 (eshell-named-command '"
  eval((condition-case err (eshell-do-eval '(prog1 (eshell-named-comma
  eshell-do-eval((condition-case err (eshell-do-eval '(prog1 (eshell-n
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>)()
  funcall(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>))
  (let ((eshell-this-command-hook '(ignore))) (funcall '#f(compiled-fu
  eval((let ((eshell-this-command-hook '(ignore))) (funcall '#f(compil
  eshell-do-eval((let ((eshell-this-command-hook '(ignore))) (conditio
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>)()
  funcall(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>))
  (let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil (((eshell-temp) . 2) t) (((eshel
  eval((let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil ((... . 2) t) ((... . 2) t)
  eshell-do-eval((let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil ((... . 2) t) ((.
  eshell-do-eval((progn (let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil (... t) (.
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>)()
  funcall(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>))
  (let ((eshell-in-pipeline-p 'nil) (eshell-current-handles '[nil (((e
  eval((let ((eshell-in-pipeline-p 'nil) (eshell-current-handles '[nil
  eshell-do-eval((let ((eshell-in-pipeline-p 'nil) (eshell-current-han
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>)()
  funcall(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x107543402033a9af>))
  (let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil (((t) . 2) t) (((t) . 2) t)]) (e
  eval((let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil ((... . 2) t) ((... . 2) t)
  eshell-do-eval((let ((eshell-current-handles '[nil ((... . 2) t) ((.
  eshell-command-result("echo ${*echo \"foo\nbar\"}-baz")
  eshell-test-command-result("echo ${*echo \"foo\nbar\"}-baz")
  eshell-command-result-equal("echo ${*echo \"foo\nbar\"}-baz" ("foo"
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x1e41ac0e460bffe0>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd :docum
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd condition:
    (error "echo: unrecognized option -b")
   FAILED   20/110  esh-var-test/interp-concat-cmd (0.616546 sec) at
lisp/eshell/esh-var-tests.el:275

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.8 (Build 21G725)) of 2023-08-28 built on
 MY-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 7a55d7e8684c02551feb17168047c9192478e5a0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.8

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36151 9219) (symbols 48 5093 0) (strings 32 12636 1004)
 (string-bytes 1 352850) (vectors 16 9370)
 (vector-slots 8 147689 12388) (floats 8 21 23) (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 10))