Subject: bug#65585: closed (Re: bug#65585: Can't build Guix from source due to failure to build cookbook)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65585: Can't build Guix from source due to failure to build cookbook

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65585: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65585
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65585: Can't build Guix from source due to failure to build cookbook
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], GNU Debbugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 18:40:20 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 65585 + notabug
quit

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> With a `guix describe` like this, I'm unable to build Guix from a fresh Git
> checkout of the master branch.
>  
> ------
>   guix 985638a
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: 985638aea14720e16ed5fd94a0e1382a57dec7ac
> ------

That's from circa July 30th.  You'll have to run 'guix pull' to get
commit 352c49e1 ("gnu: po4a: Apply patch to translate partial Texinfo
menus."), dated August 16th.

Closing!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: Can't build Guix from source due to failure to build cookbook
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:04:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With a `guix describe` like this, I'm unable to build Guix from a fresh Git
checkout of the master branch.
 
------
  guix 985638a
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 985638aea14720e16ed5fd94a0e1382a57dec7ac
------

------
$ guix shell --pure -D guix
$ ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make -j1
[...]
  MAKEINFO doc/guix.zh_CN.info
  MAKEINFO doc/guix-cookbook.info
  MAKEINFO doc/guix-cookbook.de.info
guix-cookbook.de.texi:604: @menu reference to nonexistent node `A ``Hello World'' package'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:605: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Setup'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:606: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Extended example'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:607: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Other build systems'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:608: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Programmable and automated package definition'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:609: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Getting help'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:610: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Conclusion'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:835: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Local file'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:836: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Channels'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:1544: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Recursive importers'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:1545: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Automatic update'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3469: @menu reference to nonexistent node `A Database Container'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3768: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Basic setup with manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3769: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Required packages'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3770: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Default profile'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3771: @menu reference to nonexistent node `The benefits of manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:116: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `A ``Hello World'' package'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:117: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Setup'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:118: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Extended example'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:119: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Other build systems'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:120: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Programmable and automated package definition'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:121: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Getting help'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:122: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Conclusion'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:129: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Local file'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:130: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Channels'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:137: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Recursive importers'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:138: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Automatic update'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:194: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `A Database Container'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:208: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Basic setup with manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:209: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Required packages'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:210: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Default profile'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:211: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `The benefits of manifests'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:5394: doc/guix-cookbook.de.info] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:6079: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix'
make: *** [Makefile:4193: all] Error 2
------

I'm not sure what the actual error is. I've attached the full output of
the build process.