Subject: Re: bug#65572: [PATCH v3] doc: Describe black screen issue when booting the installer.

From: Csepp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:13:15 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pushed as 2890114a708e3a54a14ceb762f0726b013ffdc85.
>
> Csepp <[email-masked]> writes:
>> There was a thread about having a dedicated "safe video" option in the
>> GRUB menu, like a lot of distros do.  I still think we should do that
>
> Yes, I agree.  It would need a way to make a custom GRUB menu entry that
> refers to a Guix System generation, and adding that feature is
> complicated because it best worked for other non-GRUB bootloaders too.
> If it were added, “safe video” could be described in the same place.
>
> Regards,
> Florian

I think we should just handle a (nested?) (a-)list of operating-system
objects.  It would be useful for a lot of other use cases too.  I for
one would like to have the option to boot my Thinkpad with libre
software by default but have the ability to use drivers from The
Forbidden Channel when I bring it to campus and need wifi.
Or to be able to choose a noPAE kernel on old machines.  Or have both an
LTS kernel and the latest release, and maybe even a nightly build for
testing.