Subject: bug#65572: closed (Re: bug#65572: [PATCH v3] doc: Describe black screen issue when booting the installer.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 12:44:03 +0000

Your bug report

#65572: Black screen in installer

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65572: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65572
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65572: [PATCH v3] doc: Describe black screen issue when booting the installer.
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Csepp <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 14:43:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed as 2890114a708e3a54a14ceb762f0726b013ffdc85.

Csepp <[email-masked]> writes:
> There was a thread about having a dedicated "safe video" option in the
> GRUB menu, like a lot of distros do.  I still think we should do that

Yes, I agree.  It would need a way to make a custom GRUB menu entry that
refers to a Guix System generation, and adding that feature is
complicated because it best worked for other non-GRUB bootloaders too.
If it were added, “safe video” could be described in the same place.

Regards,
Florian

Subject: Black screen in installer
From: Iku-Tulo Vilutar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:40:41 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm trying to install Guix system on an i386 laptop. When the installer
should reach the GUI, only a black screen is displayed.

I tried to boot by editing Linux boot parameters in GRUB and set
`nomodeset` and removed `quiet`. Now without `quiet` I saw the following
messages before the black screen:

```
intelfb: Version 0.9.6
intelfb: Cannot reserve FB region
```

Then I tried `nomodeset video=uvesafb` Linux parameters and the GUI now
rendered. I don't know if these work as a global workaround for other
machines, should they be documented in the installation instructions?