Subject: bug#65572: [PATCH v2] doc: Describe black screen issue when booting the installer.

From: Florian Pelz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:33:52 +0200

With suggestions by Iku-Tulo Vilutar <[email-masked]>.
Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65572>.

* doc/guix.texi (System Installation): Add suggestion when
booting the installer fails with a black screen.
---
Improved wording:
* added "after waiting for two minutes"

 doc/guix.texi | 10 ++++++++++
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 04e5875925..fba9df1cce 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -2402,6 +2402,16 @@ BIOS or UEFI boot menu, where you can choose to boot from the USB stick.
 In order to boot from Libreboot, switch to the command mode by pressing
 the @kbd{c} key and type @command{search_grub usb}.
 
+Sadly, on some machines, the installation medium cannot be properly
+booted and you only see a black screen after booting even after you
+waited for two minutes.  This may indicate that your machine cannot run
+Guix System; perhaps you instead want to install Guix on a foreign
+distro (@pxref{Binary Installation}).  If you are adventurous, a
+possible workaround is pressing the @kbd{e} key in the GRUB boot menu
+and appending @option{nomodeset video=uvesafb} to the Linux bootline.
+Sometimes the black screen issue can also be resolved by connecting a
+different display.
+
 @xref{Installing Guix in a VM}, if, instead, you would like to install
 Guix System in a virtual machine (VM).

base-commit: b51e45d3aaa8a85d39a8a4c3d18e8b57254aeaf2
-- 
2.41.0