Subject: bug#65558: 30.0.50; project-other-{window,frame,tab}-command a bit too obtrusive

From: Pengji Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 15:25:43 -0400

Hello!

Currently the function `project--other-place-command' uses
`display-buffer-overriding-action' which IMO makes
project-other-{window,frame,tab}-command a bit too obtrusive. For
example,

1. Start Emacs with 'emacs -Q';
2. Press 'C-x 5 p f';
3. Press 'TAB'.

Then the '*Completions*' buffer pops up in a new frame. The expected
behavior of mine is that the '*Completions*' buffer shows at the
bottom of the current frame, which is the same as most of other 'C-x
5' commands.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) of 2023-08-22
Repository revision: 45555c1b789c547cdb5e5daf657a90b5ba431792
Repository branch: master

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --program-transform-name=s/^ctags/ctags.emacs/'

Configured features:
GNUTLS LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow regexp-opt sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media
puny dired dnd dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date
subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher
thingatpt cl-seq project cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/tmux term/xterm xterm
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
touch-screen tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85761 9842) (symbols 48 6446 0) (strings 32 24432 1515)
 (string-bytes 1 689043) (vectors 16 10095)
 (vector-slots 8 122180 3896) (floats 8 26 11543)
 (intervals 56 10515 8) (buffers 984 11) (heap 1024 4154 811))