Subject: Re: bug#65549: Issue during "guix pull"

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 19:19:23 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 at 09:28, Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
>> ERROR:
>>   1. &http-get-error:
>>       uri: #<<uri> scheme: https userinfo: #f host: "ci.guix.gnu.org" port: #f path: "/nar/lzip/i4c6yd0n7yhw2qi5217z62zb9n023dk7-automake-1.16.5" query: #f fragment: #f>
>>       code: 504
>>       reason: "Gateway Time-out"
>
> It looks like you have connectivity issues with ci.guix.gnu.org.  You
> might want to retry, or enable other mirrors for substitutes instead,
> since ci.guix.gnu.org blocks some territories (not because of Guix
> policy, but rather because of where the server is hosted).

Well, it’s weird that many people have often connectivity issues with
ci.guix.gnu.org.  I mean, yes a retry usually makes it pass but as
reported in this thread:

    collection of “guix pull“ bug reports
    Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
    Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:17:20 +0200
    id:[email-masked]
    https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]
    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-08

all these failures with “guix pull“ look like the symptom with something
unexpected on server side.  Although obviously we can tweak on client
side for some automatic retries.

These transient failures are very hard to tackle because they are
transient. :-)

Cheers,
simon