Subject: Re: bug#65518: 30.0.50; [FR Eglot] Completions over all workspace symbols

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 01:14:43 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> If you want a comparative analysis to lsp-mode, to increase
> the chances that this is addressed, I'd also need to know exactly
> how you set it up.  As far as I understand, lsp-mode doesn't
> do miracles, it uses the same LSP interfaces available to Eglot
> (in this case, more than likely `symbol/workspace`, which I've
> already described).

Out of curiosity, I've had a look at lsp-mode.el.  It does not use
'symbol/workspace', rather 'textDocument/documentSymbol'.  So C-u
M-. provides a complete list of symbols upfront.  But -- crucially --
that list is limited to contain symbols for the current document only .

So, at first glance, I'd say it's lsp-mode who is missing (lots and lots
of) symbols.

In contrast, Eglot's C-u M-. reaches all the symbols in the whole
project, a much better implementation of 'xref-find-deinitions' IMNSHO.
In a large project, like LLVM, using Eglot in combination with something
like `M-x fido-vertical-mode` gives you an interactive incremental
completion interface that is able reach millions of symbols across in
thousands of C++ files.

João