Subject: bug#65514: closed (Re: bug#65514: 29.1; pixel-scroll-precision-mode has no visible effect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65514: 29.1; pixel-scroll-precision-mode has no visible effect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65514: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65514
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65514: 29.1; pixel-scroll-precision-mode has no visible effect
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: William O'Hanley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:37:52 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

William O'Hanley <[email-masked]> writes:

> After activating pixel-scroll-precision-mode, I don't see any difference in scrolling behaviour: scrolling is still instant and by lines, as usual. Any idea what gives?
>
> My window manager is i3, in case that's relevant.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Will
>
>
> emacs -Q dribble:  pixel-scroll-precision-mode<return><down-mouse-5><mouse-5><down-mouse-4><mouse-4>
>
> In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
> version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
> Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
> System Description: Arch Linux
>
> Configured using:
>  'configure
>  --prefix=/nix/store/zbh69bbb8c13w5rrpbhp9rsa7aax4d42-emacs-29.1
>  --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>  --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
>  --with-xinput2'

Despite configuring --with-xinput2, as attested here...

> Configured features:
> CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
> LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
> INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
> TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

... your build is bereft of XInput 2 support, probably as a consequence
of relevant headers being absent from your system.  Verify that you have
installed libXi and its development files, that they are recent enough,
and rebuild Emacs.

Closing, thanks.

Subject: 29.1; pixel-scroll-precision-mode has no visible effect
From: William O'Hanley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:45:00 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After activating pixel-scroll-precision-mode, I don't see any difference in scrolling behaviour: scrolling is still instant and by lines, as usual. Any idea what gives?

My window manager is i3, in case that's relevant.

Thanks for any help.

Will

emacs -Q dribble:  pixel-scroll-precision-mode<return><down-mouse-5><mouse-5><down-mouse-4><mouse-4>

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/zbh69bbb8c13w5rrpbhp9rsa7aax4d42-emacs-29.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /nix/store/ga7mhqig58n03hpd1a6snv3r3ckfc2cw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/ga7mhqig58n03hpd1a6snv3r3ckfc2cw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load pixel-scroll cua-base ring
subr-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 88024 8082)
 (symbols 48 8322 0)
 (strings 32 22806 2025)
 (string-bytes 1 779615)
 (vectors 16 17010)
 (vector-slots 8 341704 10406)
 (floats 8 57 46)
 (intervals 56 258 0)
 (buffers 984 13))