Subject: 29.1; pixel-scroll-precision-mode has no visible effect

From: William O'Hanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:45:00 -0700

After activating pixel-scroll-precision-mode, I don't see any difference in scrolling behaviour: scrolling is still instant and by lines, as usual. Any idea what gives?

My window manager is i3, in case that's relevant.

Thanks for any help.

Will

emacs -Q dribble:  pixel-scroll-precision-mode<return><down-mouse-5><mouse-5><down-mouse-4><mouse-4>

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/zbh69bbb8c13w5rrpbhp9rsa7aax4d42-emacs-29.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /nix/store/ga7mhqig58n03hpd1a6snv3r3ckfc2cw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/ga7mhqig58n03hpd1a6snv3r3ckfc2cw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load pixel-scroll cua-base ring
subr-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 88024 8082)
 (symbols 48 8322 0)
 (strings 32 22806 2025)
 (string-bytes 1 779615)
 (vectors 16 17010)
 (vector-slots 8 341704 10406)
 (floats 8 57 46)
 (intervals 56 258 0)
 (buffers 984 13))