Subject: bug#65510: Errors trying to use home-dicod-service-type and home-syncthing-service-type

From: Morgan Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:39:26 -0400

Hello guix!

Thank you Ludovic for adding a way to map system services to home
services!  This is very exciting.  However, I can't seem to use some of
those services.

Take a look at this minimal example home configuration:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(use-modules (gnu services)
             (gnu home services dict)
             (gnu home services syncthing)
             (gnu home services mcron))

(home-environment
 (services
  (list
   ;; guix home: error: no target of type 'system' for service 'profile'
   (service home-dicod-service-type)
   ;; guix home: error: no target of type 'system' for service 'profile'
   (service home-syncthing-service-type)
   ;; works great!
   (service home-mcron-service-type))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Am I doing something wrong?  Both the dicod and syncthing services give
me an error when running "guix home build".  The mcron service works
fine though even though it is built using the same "for-home" stuff.

I'm not that comfortable with debugging services and I don't really know
where to start.

I used the "guix repl" to print out "(service home-dicod-service-type)"
and got this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$1 = #<<service> type: #<service-type home-dict 7f16dd2e3600> value: #<<dicod-configuration> dico: #<package [email-masked] gnu/packages/dico.scm:41 7f16dd2e9210> interfaces: ("localhost") handlers: () databases: (#<<dicod-database> name: "gcide" handler: "gcide" complex?: #f options: (#<gexp (string-append "dbdir=" #<gexp-input #<package [email-masked] gnu/packages/dictionaries.scm:114 7f16de0644d0>:out> "/share/gcide") gnu/services/dict.scm:94:18 7f16dc110150> #<gexp (string-append "idxdir=" #<gexp-input #<<computed-file> name: "dicod-gcide-index" gexp: #<gexp (begin (use-modules (guix build utils)) (mkdir #<gexp-output out>) (invoke #<gexp-input native #<file-append #<package [email-masked] gnu/packages/dico.scm:41 7f16dd2e9210> "/libexec/idxgcide">:out> #<gexp-input native #<file-append #<package [email-masked] gnu/packages/dictionaries.scm:114 7f16de0644d0> "/share/gcide">:out> #<gexp-output out>)) gnu/services/dict.scm:83:19 7f16dc1101b0> guile: #f options: (#:local-build? #t)>:out>) gnu/services/dict.scm:95:18 7f16dc110120>)>) home-service?: #t>>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---