Subject: [bug#65489] [PATCH] gnu: tor: Update to 0.4.8.4.

From: André Batista <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:10:14 -0300

Hi Michael!

The Tor Project has released v0.4.8.5, so I guess we can skip
v0.4.8.4. Would you care to send a new version of your patch?

Also, Tor v0.4.8.x has introduced a new PoW feature which is useful
for Onion Service operators and users during those all too common
DDoS attempts on the network. However, the feature is disabled by
default because the code was GPL'd. So, in order to enable it for
Guix users - whom I think won't have an issue with GPL code ;) -, you
need to change the current package definition configure flags and add
"--enable-gpl", otherwise we will be missing on this.

Moreover, I'm running the tor-client package and have hit on core/tor
issue #40848[1], since upgrading to v0.4.8.5. Apparently it's a
pretty harmless bug assertion which Alexander Færøy solved [2] by
just removing the bug assertion. Nonetheless, I think it's best if we
also include that patch on Guix, otherwise there may be future
repeated questions from guix users once they start seeing it show up
on system logs.

WDYT?

Cheers!

1 - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40848
2 - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/merge_requests/752