Subject: [bug#65489] [PATCH] gnu: tor: Update to 0.4.8.4.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:43:08 +0200

Hi André,

André Batista <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm sorry but I forgot to mention you should probably also update the
> license field in order to refer to the license option. It seems to me
> that the configure flag is a bit misleading, since the license is
> LGPLv3[1][2], not GPL.

However the flag is documented like this in ‘configure.ac’:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
AC_ARG_ENABLE(gpl,
  AS_HELP_STRING(--enable-gpl, [allow the inclusion of GPL-licensed code, building a version of tor and libtor covered by the GPL rather than its usual 3-clause BSD license]))
license_option=BSD
AS_IF([test "x$enable_gpl" = xyes],
  [
    AC_DEFINE(ENABLE_GPL, 1, [Defined if tor is building in GPL-licensed mode.])
    license_option=GPL
  ])
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

That said, although that’s unwritten, the ‘license’ field describes the
license of the package itself, not that of the combination with its
dependencies, so I’d leave it at ‘bsd-3’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.