Subject: Re: bug#65469: [PATCH] * etc/emacsclient.desktop: Make Emacs default application for org-protocol

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:39:19 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:32:38 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> I guess it depends on the level of precision you want to have in the
> >> NEWS entry. For me, the NEWS entry sounds good enough, but I wanted to
> >> make things more clear after Björn's comment.
> >
> > So what is imprecise in the wording I suggested a couple of messages
> > ago?
> 
>     Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
>     to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant system,
>     including GNU/Linux and some others, these links should now open in
>     Emacs automatically
> 
> 1. GNU/Linux by itself is not XDG-compliant. Only some desktop
>    environments are.

How about this minor variation:

    Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
    to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant desktop
    environment, including KDE and GNOME on GNU/Linux, and some others,
    these links should now open in Emacs automatically

> 2. System does not have to be fully XDG-compliant. It is enough that
>    some apps (like Firefox) follow XDG spec and that xdg-utils is
>    installed.

Does the above change solve this problem as well?  Or maybe try this
variant:

  ** On capable systems, Emacs is now the default application for 'org-protocol'.
  Org mode provides a way to quickly capture bookmarks, notes, and links
  using 'emacsclient':

      emacsclient "org-protocol://store-link?url=URL&title=TITLE"

  Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
  to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant desktop
  environment, including KDE and GNOME on GNU/Linux, and some others,
  these links should now open in Emacs automatically if the application
  that opens the link follows the XDG spec and xdg-utils are installed.
  This is because the "emacsclient.desktop" file now arranges for Emacs
  to be the default application for the 'org-protocol' URI scheme.  See
  the Org mode manual, Info node "(org) Protocols" for more details.