Subject: Re: bug#65469: [PATCH] * etc/emacsclient.desktop: Make Emacs default application for org-protocol

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:32:38 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I guess it depends on the level of precision you want to have in the
>> NEWS entry. For me, the NEWS entry sounds good enough, but I wanted to
>> make things more clear after Björn's comment.
>
> So what is imprecise in the wording I suggested a couple of messages
> ago?

    Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
    to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant system,
    including GNU/Linux and some others, these links should now open in
    Emacs automatically

1. GNU/Linux by itself is not XDG-compliant. Only some desktop
   environments are.

2. System does not have to be fully XDG-compliant. It is enough that
   some apps (like Firefox) follow XDG spec and that xdg-utils is
   installed.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>