Subject: bug#65469: [PATCH] * etc/emacsclient.desktop: Make Emacs default application for org-protocol

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:24:01 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>,
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:21:43 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Let me turn the table and ask you: where are those desktop files,
> > their format and contents described?  If there's some standard
> > document where they are documented, can you point me to that
> > document?
> 
> desktop files are defined in XDG spec. See
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/ and
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec/
> 
> So, .desktop files are understood by XDG-compiant desktops and apps. Now
> every desktop environment on GNU/Linux actually supports these specs.
> Gnome and KDE do. Some others also do. Otherwise, one needs to install
> xdg-utils or similar package manually.

Then why my suggestion up-thread, viz.:

>> It applies to all operating system that use desktop environments
>> that comply with XDG so for example also BSD.
>
> Only XDG-compliant desktops? nothing else?

was rejected?  The reasons given at the time were:

  Well only those that handle xdg desktop files specific uri type
  handlers e.g. Gnome, KDE, Xfce etc.

  Not sure if there's something such as "fully XDG-compliant".

  My phrasing only intended to explain that in theory any operating system
  that uses xdg compliant desktop environments works with the change, not
  just GNU/QT/GTK/KDE/GNOME Linux.

Specifically, with the following wording be accurate and clear?

  ** On capable systems, Emacs is now the default application for 'org-protocol'.
  Org mode provides a way to quickly capture bookmarks, notes, and links
  using 'emacsclient':

      emacsclient "org-protocol://store-link?url=URL&title=TITLE"

  Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
  to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant system,
  including GNU/Linux and some others, these links should now open in
  Emacs automatically, as the "emacsclient.desktop" file now arranges
  for Emacs to be the default application for the 'org-protocol' URI
  scheme.  See the Org mode manual, Info node "(org) Protocols" for more
  details.

> Also, a number of applications, expect xdg-open executable to be
> available on GNU/Linux systems as a generic way to open files using
> "right" application. Including Emacs itself - see
> `browse-url-can-use-xdg-open', for example.

Is this related to the issue with org-protocol?