Subject: Re: bug#65469: [PATCH] * etc/emacsclient.desktop: Make Emacs default application for org-protocol

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:21:43 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> >> >> It applies to all operating system that use desktop environments
>> >> >> that comply with XDG so for example also BSD.
>> >> >
>> >> > Only XDG-compliant desktops? nothing else?
> ...
> Let me turn the table and ask you: where are those desktop files,
> their format and contents described?  If there's some standard
> document where they are documented, can you point me to that
> document?

desktop files are defined in XDG spec. See
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/ and
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec/

So, .desktop files are understood by XDG-compiant desktops and apps. Now
every desktop environment on GNU/Linux actually supports these specs.
Gnome and KDE do. Some others also do. Otherwise, one needs to install
xdg-utils or similar package manually.

Also, a number of applications, expect xdg-open executable to be
available on GNU/Linux systems as a generic way to open files using
"right" application. Including Emacs itself - see
`browse-url-can-use-xdg-open', for example.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>