Subject: Re: bug#65469: [PATCH] * etc/emacsclient.desktop: Make Emacs default application for org-protocol

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:41:00 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>   ** On capable systems, Emacs is now the default application for 'org-protocol'.
>   Org mode provides a way to quickly capture bookmarks, notes, and links
>   using 'emacsclient':
>
>       emacsclient "org-protocol://store-link?url=URL&title=TITLE"
>
>   Previously, users had to manually configure their desktop environment
>   to open 'org-protocol' links in Emacs.  On any XDG-compliant desktop
>   environment, including KDE and GNOME on GNU/Linux, and some others,

Perhaps simpler:

    environment, such as KDE and GNOME on GNU/Linux,

But my understanding is that KDE and GNOME desktop environments are XDG
compliant on all supported platforms.  Is that correct?  If it is,
perhaps it could be even simpler:

    environment, such as KDE and GNOME,

(I'd mention GNOME first due to its historical connection to GNU, but
that's probably a nitpick in this context.)

>   these links should now open in Emacs automatically if the application
>   that opens the link follows the XDG spec and xdg-utils are installed.
>   This is because the "emacsclient.desktop" file now arranges for Emacs
>   to be the default application for the 'org-protocol' URI scheme.  See
>   the Org mode manual, Info node "(org) Protocols" for more details.

Other than that, LGTM.