Subject: 29.1; describe-theme fails to describe some themes not loaded

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:44:16 +0000

This because `describe-theme-1` is not looping in buffer to find
`deftheme` definition.

Try (describe-theme 'leuven) to reproduce (if not already loaded of course).

This patch fixes it:

diff --git a/lisp/cus-theme.el b/lisp/cus-theme.el
index 5d3f2585976..3640d1ec329 100644
--- a/lisp/cus-theme.el
+++ b/lisp/cus-theme.el
@@ -513,13 +513,15 @@ It includes all faces in list FACES."
       ;; Attempt to grab the theme documentation
       (when fn
 	(with-temp-buffer
-	  (insert-file-contents fn)
-	  (let ((sexp (let ((read-circle nil))
-			(condition-case nil
-			    (read (current-buffer))
-			  (end-of-file nil)))))
-            (and (eq (car-safe sexp) 'deftheme)
-		 (setq doc (nth 2 sexp)))))))
+          (insert-file-contents fn)
+          (catch 'found
+            (let (sexp)
+              (while (setq sexp (let ((read-circle nil))
+	                          (condition-case nil
+		                      (read (current-buffer))
+		                    (end-of-file nil))))
+                (when (eq (car-safe sexp) 'deftheme)
+	          (throw 'found (setq doc (nth 2 sexp))))))))))
     (princ "\n\nDocumentation:\n")
     (princ (if (stringp doc)
 	       (substitute-command-keys doc)

However for the modus themes it will fail as well because deftheme is
nested inside a eval-when-compile.

And while I am at it, the docstring of Leuven-dark is wrong (guess it has
been copy/pasted from Leuven without modifications).

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-08-16 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.2

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-29.1
 --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-tree-sitter --without-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/boxquote-20220919.714/boxquote hides ~/elisp/boxquote

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug addressbook-bookmark tv-mu4e-config
config-w3m mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e-patch mu4e
mu4e-org org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mu4e-headers
mu4e-thread mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search
mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window ido message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete
smerge-mode whitespace cl-indent helm-ring helm-x-files helm-for-files
helm-bookmark bookmark emms-config emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net
modus-vivendi-theme modus-operandi-theme modus-themes cus-theme cl-extra
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus xml
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug backtrace find-func
helm-info helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher emacs-news-mode
noutline outline make-mode flymake-shellcheck cus-start flymake-proc
flymake project warnings thingatpt sh-script smie treesit executable
jka-compr bug-reference ef-winter-theme ef-tritanopia-dark-theme
ef-trio-dark-theme ef-symbiosis-theme ef-night-theme ef-maris-dark-theme
ef-elea-dark-theme ef-duo-dark-theme ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme
ef-dark-theme ef-cherie-theme ef-bio-theme ef-autumn-theme
ef-tritanopia-light-theme ef-trio-light-theme ef-summer-theme
ef-spring-theme ef-maris-light-theme ef-light-theme ef-kassio-theme
ef-frost-theme ef-elea-light-theme ef-duo-light-theme
ef-deuteranopia-light-theme ef-day-theme ef-cyprus-theme ef-themes
server imenu psession frameset undo-tree diff queue pcase git-gutter
mule-util dired-extension time winner describe-variable help-fns
radix-tree help-mode tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa isl helm-descbinds all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons cus-edit pp icons wid-edit
helm-sys popup helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode
exif filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep
grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring helm-regexp
format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core easy-mmode async-bytecomp
helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mb-depth avoid cus-load gcmh boxquote-autoloads
ef-themes-autoloads gcmh-autoloads ledger-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads osm-autoloads compat-autoloads info w3m-load
w3m-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1071049 1037182)
 (symbols 48 37733 180)
 (strings 32 199434 99964)
 (string-bytes 1 6124602)
 (vectors 16 77921)
 (vector-slots 8 1698366 1015829)
 (floats 8 1766 4594)
 (intervals 56 5971 3113)
 (buffers 976 117))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry