Subject: bug#65467: 29.1.50; Gnus agent groups with spaces in their names cannot be activated while unplugged

From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:37:34 +0530

To reproduce, attempt to access, while unplugged, any group of an
agentized (IMAP) server with a space in its name (such as Gmail's 'Sent
Mail' or 'All Mail').

Here's a patch that fixes it:

diff --git a/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent.el b/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent.el
index db205c5b657..5f2401c7c07 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent.el
@@ -1340,13 +1340,13 @@ gnus-agent-save-group-info

           (goto-char (point-min))
           (when (re-search-forward
-                 (concat "^" (regexp-quote group) " ") nil t)
+                 (concat "^\"?" (regexp-quote group) "\"? ") nil t)
             (save-excursion
               (setq oactive-max (read (current-buffer))	  ;; max
                     oactive-min (read (current-buffer)))) ;; min
             (gnus-delete-line)))
 	(when active
-	  (insert (format "%s %d %d y\n" group
+	  (insert (format "%S %d %d y\n" group
 			  (max (or oactive-max (cdr active)) (cdr active))
 			  (min (or oactive-min (car active)) (car active))))
 	  (goto-char (point-max))
@@ -1370,7 +1370,7 @@ gnus-agent-get-group-info

           (goto-char (point-min))
           (when (re-search-forward
-                 (concat "^" (regexp-quote group) " ") nil t)
+                 (concat "^\"?" (regexp-quote group) "\"? ") nil t)
             (save-excursion
               (setq oactive-max (read (current-buffer))	;; max
                     oactive-min (read (current-buffer))) ;; min
diff --git a/lisp/gnus/nnmail.el b/lisp/gnus/nnmail.el
index e8f157392d4..3a91139cb3f 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/nnmail.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/nnmail.el
@@ -695,7 +697,7 @@ nnmail-generate-active
   (erase-buffer)
   (let (group)
     (while (setq group (pop alist))
-      (insert (format "%s %d %d y\n" (car group) (cdadr group)
+      (insert (format "%S %d %d y\n" (car group) (cdadr group)
 		      (caadr group))))
     (goto-char (point-max))
     (while (search-backward "\\." nil t)

Note: If you're already facing this problem with a group, after applying
the patch, you'll also have to do M-g over it in the Group buffer while
plugged, to update the agent's active file. New servers wouldn't need
this.

This is similar in spirit to bug#42823.

--

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-08-02 built on
 user-Inspiron-15-5518
Repository revision: 608a8757d9fa54bc2fd57180b0347931db9c46b0
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-environment-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-jump hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-ensure hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-lint hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-core hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-delight hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-diminish hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish

Features:
(pp shadow bbdb-message emacsbug mule-util shr-color color epa-file
dired-aux nnagent sort gnus-cite smiley mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg face-remap qp gnus-ml hl-line disp-table misearch
multi-isearch nnml utf-7 url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
network-stream nsm cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com bbdb bbdb-site timezone auth-source-xoauth2
auth-source-pass smtpmail gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win crm shell
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color image-mode exif time
eww-history-ext derived eww-history-ext-dyn eww url-queue thingatpt shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
denote xdg dired dired-loaddefs xref project ring edmacro
desktop-environment ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray
xcb-xembed exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating
xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh
xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server cl-extra
help-mode advice recentf tree-widget wid-edit use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core format-spec
icomplete battery dbus xml cus-load cask-autoloads conda-autoloads
gnus-mock-autoloads jeison-autoloads pcase org-mime-autoloads
org-present-autoloads org-remark-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
python-view-data-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads pythonic-autoloads
realgud-ipdb-autoloads realgud-autoloads realgud-recursive-autoloads
loc-changes-autoloads load-relative-autoloads reddigg-autoloads
ht-autoloads promise-autoloads request-autoloads s-autoloads
test-simple-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 418247 35510)
 (symbols 48 29038 3)
 (strings 32 114691 6643)
 (string-bytes 1 3351244)
 (vectors 16 81423)
 (vector-slots 8 1189181 62648)
 (floats 8 404 309)
 (intervals 56 1930 1024)
 (buffers 984 28))