Subject: bug#65463: Herd `fport_write: Broken pipe` error when running `guix home reconfigure`

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:27:56 -0400

Hi Ludo,

I tried replicating this issue on guix
d67e4f0f9b10c7ddac8fb0ca68cbf1d6ad0a6e5d and was not able to. My guess
is either shepherd 10.2->10.3 resolved the issue or there was a change in
fish.

It seems to work fine now, but I've not tested thoroughly. Hopefully
anyone else who can into the issue can chime in.

> (I assume this is the strace of shepherd, not herd.)

When you say this do you mean daemon vs. CLI process? I'm fairly
confident that was the strace of the daemon although I can't recall how
I pulled that off.

> Maybe we should unconditionally run shepherd with stdout/stderr
> redirected to /dev/null?
> 
> That would sidestep the problem and it’s probably a good idea anyway.

Would unconditionally redirecting to /dev/null mess with the system
shepherd? I noticed that stdout and stderr for my system shepherd (in
/proc/1/fd) are printing to /dev/console. If so that would probably make
debugging shepherd issues harder, particularly on something like a
single board computer.

Thanks for looking at this!

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.