Subject: Re: bug#65461: Cannot compile any Rust projects

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:08:32 +0800

Hello Brian,

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 02:22:07 +0800,
brian wrote:
>
> I'd like to propose that the ‘out’ output of gcc-toolchain include the
> stub rt, pthread, and dl stub static libraries. This problem comes up on
> a very regular basis, and I can think of no reason not to have the
> compatibility shims made available.
>
> They contain no code, as they only exist to satisfy linker command
> lines, so they're not relevant for grafting purposes. The workaround of
> including the static toolchain means that every static library, not just
> the empty stubs, is made availible for linking, which is, IMHO, strictly
> worse than putting empty .a files into the default output.
>
> WDYT?

Grepping "!<arch>" in gcc-toolchain:static gives me libanl.a, libdl.a,
libpthread.a, librt.a and libutil.a.  Currently only librt.a is not
present in gcc-toolchain:out, so the proposal is really reasonable for
me.

Cc-ing Josselin since they have sent a patch to #63258.

Hi Josselin, what's the current state of the patch?  Can you resend it
to guix-patches to trigger the build process?

Thanks