Subject: bug#6546: win32 grep/shell utf-8 encoding

From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:50:54 +0300

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You cannot easily change the locale of a Windows system by specifying
> some environment variable.  You need to actually switch it
> system-wide.  As long as we use ANSI APIs on Windows, we can only

I am talking about LANG env settings, which we can freely change for the 
cygwin apps to act differently (as we need).

> You can't, sorry.

You can. That example was supposed to show, that you can freely change 
LANG variable and cygwin utils, which relies on it, acts appropriately.

Well, you can't change it freely in the sense of Emacs setup 
("workaround"), which requires, that LANG should be set the same as the 
current system locale in order for the Emacs to pass 
unicode/non-system-encoding args.

So, i'm asking the same question again -- why do you think it's not 
worth to fix this Emacs setup restriction in order to work with cygwin 
apps like it's intended from cygwin/cmd shell (setting on the fly as 
needed whatever supported locale)?