Subject: bug#6546: win32 grep/shell utf-8 encoding

From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:24:12 +0300

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 16:11, Laimonas Vėbra<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
>> That means you are using gnu-win32 grep. Some older (2.5.4) and newer
>> (2.6.3) cygwin greps won't work.
>
> Sorry, I missed that in your original report.
>
> Did you try adding an entry to `process-coding-system-alist'?

The problem is not here. I can change the encoding of the command string 
(which is passed to external cygwin apps) using
coding-system-for-write. It works (converted correctly utf-8->cp1257, 
cp1251, etc), but it doesn't help, because of the way the args (command 
line) are passed/transcoded through the winapi (CreateProcessA) and 
cygwin layer.
This bug is related to bug#6705 (there are detailed description of 
what's happening)