Subject: Re: bug#65459: completing-read INITIAL-VALUE unaware of COLLECTION and REQUIRE-MATCH

From: Heime <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:21:06 +0000

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, August 28th, 2023 at 2:40 AM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Additionally, let's have minibuffer prefilling as part of the design
> > without any discouragement or encouragement regarding its use.
> > I like it, others don't like it.
> 
> 
> This last sentence is key: it should not be a choice of the caller of the
> function, but should depend on the configuration of the UI instead.
> 
> Using DEFault makes this customization possible. Using INITIAL-INPUT
> does not. - Stefan

Suppose I want to prefill the buffer with something, I should be allowed 
to do that.  The default only shows up when instructed, so not really
an automatic prefill of the minibuffer.

Not a choice of the caller of the function.  It is the programmer who is 
calling the function and who wants it to behave a certain.  I find it a
big problem that when I mention minibuffer prefilling, the maintainers
reject such possibility.  It basically means that I get the UI behind 
by back trying to hamstring me on what I can do and what I cannot do.

Suppose I want minibuffer prefilling, give me the procedure that allows me
to do that, one that is not complicated in a way that dissuades me from 
implementing such a thing.