Subject: bug#65456: closed (Re: bug#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 04:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65456: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65456
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>, Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:52:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

Hi!

> Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:

> If there are no objections I'll go forward and install this patch by the
> end of the weekend.

So, I've been running guix pull from hurd-team on the Hurd all day.
Starting with the max-25 files split without (gc), it failed 5
consecutive times building guix-packages-base.  Because the initial
patch worked pretty well and had the (gc) call (and yes, also used the
26-way split), I re-added (gc), and now the fourth attempt succeeded.
After `guix-packages-base' built, `guix-packages' then built right away.

I seem to remember guix-packages was the main problem when I wrote the
first version of this patch some four months ago, but that one split the
list of packages 26-way of course.  That suggests that the (combined)
compilation of certain files is especially problematic, or that it has
since become more problematic (<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66063>).

On the other hand, we may be able to use more than 4GiB of memory on the
Hurd some time soon (and after we upgrade and compile using
--enable-pae)
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2023-08/msg00090.html>.

Pushed to master as 658de25e990a56265e2398a3737e9cf1eb57af68

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:17:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Initially writter for the Hurd (see hurd-team
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=06438c2a7edf1f0c90392858fc86480c6e5c2195>,
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=5623ab503fa70eab95e6f859e82c89581c3f69f4>)
This afternoon on IRC, Maxim confirmed my suspicion that this could be 32bit
issue, rather than a Hurd problem
(<https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2023-08-22.log#182716>,
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1870536/log/raw>).

I didn't submit these for the Hurd yet, as I didn't really feel comfortable
with the 26-way split.  I tried a 5-way split and that still gave OOM errors
on the Hurd and I didn't feel like hand-coding a 10-way split, so yeah.

Also, the 5-way split in the Makefile.am will produce percentages over
100 which suggests a typo...but I couldn't spot it.

Lastly, these patches feel like a workaround for Guile / libgc memory
management?  Otoh, being able to build Guix on 32bit hosts is kinda nice
too... So yeah.

Greetings,
Janneke

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen (2):
  build: Build gnu/packages/*.go in five steps.
  self: Build gnu/packages/*.go in 26 steps on 32bit.

 Makefile.am   | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 guix/self.scm | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: c655231b72ac28b5a433069fcf86a835c9c83691
-- 
2.41.0