Subject: bug#65456: closed (Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] self: Build gnu/packages/*.go in 26 steps.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:30:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65456: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65456
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] self: Build gnu/packages/*.go in 26 steps.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:28:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

After a LGTM from Ludo and discussing with Maxim on IRC, pushed to
master as 5898b2e8a3dbf7797e83b39a2783c5b543015725

Maxim suggested (<https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2023-08-22.log#211631>)
we could maybe use Guile in make to split building .go files in
Makefile.am algorithmically like we do in guix/self.scm.

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:17:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Initially writter for the Hurd (see hurd-team
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=06438c2a7edf1f0c90392858fc86480c6e5c2195>,
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=5623ab503fa70eab95e6f859e82c89581c3f69f4>)
This afternoon on IRC, Maxim confirmed my suspicion that this could be 32bit
issue, rather than a Hurd problem
(<https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2023-08-22.log#182716>,
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1870536/log/raw>).

I didn't submit these for the Hurd yet, as I didn't really feel comfortable
with the 26-way split.  I tried a 5-way split and that still gave OOM errors
on the Hurd and I didn't feel like hand-coding a 10-way split, so yeah.

Also, the 5-way split in the Makefile.am will produce percentages over
100 which suggests a typo...but I couldn't spot it.

Lastly, these patches feel like a workaround for Guile / libgc memory
management?  Otoh, being able to build Guix on 32bit hosts is kinda nice
too... So yeah.

Greetings,
Janneke

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen (2):
  build: Build gnu/packages/*.go in five steps.
  self: Build gnu/packages/*.go in 26 steps on 32bit.

 Makefile.am   | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 guix/self.scm | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: c655231b72ac28b5a433069fcf86a835c9c83691
-- 
2.41.0