Subject: bug#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:17:59 +0200

Hi!

Initially writter for the Hurd (see hurd-team
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=06438c2a7edf1f0c90392858fc86480c6e5c2195>,
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=hurd-team&id=5623ab503fa70eab95e6f859e82c89581c3f69f4>)
This afternoon on IRC, Maxim confirmed my suspicion that this could be 32bit
issue, rather than a Hurd problem
(<https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2023-08-22.log#182716>,
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1870536/log/raw>).

I didn't submit these for the Hurd yet, as I didn't really feel comfortable
with the 26-way split.  I tried a 5-way split and that still gave OOM errors
on the Hurd and I didn't feel like hand-coding a 10-way split, so yeah.

Also, the 5-way split in the Makefile.am will produce percentages over
100 which suggests a typo...but I couldn't spot it.

Lastly, these patches feel like a workaround for Guile / libgc memory
management?  Otoh, being able to build Guix on 32bit hosts is kinda nice
too... So yeah.

Greetings,
Janneke

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen (2):
  build: Build gnu/packages/*.go in five steps.
  self: Build gnu/packages/*.go in 26 steps on 32bit.

 Makefile.am   | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 guix/self.scm | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: c655231b72ac28b5a433069fcf86a835c9c83691
-- 
2.41.0