Subject: Re: bug#65447: 30.0.50; Gnus: No such function: nnfolder-server-opened

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 07:18:08 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, it's `gnus-newsrc-alist' that will contain group definitions,

Ah, ok.  Sorry, I didn't know that.

> including seven (it looks like) for your archive groups, each one with
> an identical method definition looking like:
>
> (nnfolder "archive"
> 	  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
> 	  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
> 	  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
> 	  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
>
> I know the file is a bit eye-watering to look at, but try to confirm
> that you have seven archive groups in there, and each one ends with the
> form above.

No problem.  When I 'pp' the list, I see these 7:

 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-06\" 3 nil ((unexist) (seen (1 . 2)))
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-07\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil)
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-08\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil)
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-09\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil)
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-10\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil)
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-11\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil)
 (\"nnfolder+archive:sent.2023-08\" 3 nil nil
  (nnfolder \"archive\" (nnfolder-directory \"~/Mail/archive\")
	    (nnfolder-active-file \"~/Mail/archive/active\")
	    (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
  nil))

> It's pretty weird that you're seeing this with your archive server,

I am weird :-).

> because that one gets special treatment. Take a close look at the file
> first, and maybe we can try something else.

I can also try to catch that in the debugger, if it helps.  Since
setting debug-on-error seems not to help, can I perhaps set a breakpoint
somewhere in Gnus?