Subject: bug#65447: 30.0.50; Gnus: No such function: nnfolder-server-opened

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:25:32 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:29:39 +0200
>> 
>> Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > I get the following error when starting Gnus with M-x gnus.
>> >
>> >   No such function: nnfolder-server-opened
>> >
>> > The function nnfolder-server-opened is indeed defined nowhere I can
>> > find.  In case it matters, I had a Gnus autosave file.  After M-x gnus,
>> > I answered 'n' to the question if the autosave file should be used.
>> > After that, the error is signaled.

This is almost certainly the source of the problem. Your .newsrc.eld
file should have entries for groups looking like:

("nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-02" 3 ((1 . 1)) ((unexist) (seen 1))
 (nnfolder
  "archive" (nnfolder-directory "~/.mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/.mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

Long story short, at Gnus startup time the `nnfolder' symbol at the head
of the method list will get turned into a `require' call for the
appropriate library, so the nnfolder functions should be available early
on.

I'm not sure exactly how you got there, but it sounds like there are
references to your nnfolder group(s) somewhere in Gnus, but the groups
are not listed in your .newsrc.eld, so the library is never loaded.

What nnfolder groups show up in your Group buffer (hitting "L" first).
Are those groups present in your .newsrc.eld file?

Eric