Subject: bug#65418: closed (Re: bug#65418: 29.1; Eglot: support clangd inactiveRegions extension)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 20:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65418: 29.1; Eglot: support clangd inactiveRegions extension

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65418: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65418
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65418: 29.1; Eglot: support clangd inactiveRegions extension
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:37:54 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 5:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The first of these 2 patches is trivial.  The second one is not
> trivial, but it looks like you've rewritten the text almost from
> scratch, so I indeed think we don't need any legal paperwork from
> Filippo for these changes, and you can install those on master.  (I
> would still encourage Filippo to start the paperwork rolling, so that
> we could accept his contributions in the future without limitations.)

Thanks very much for checking.  I just re-pushed the two commits.

And with this, closing the bug.

Subject: 29.1; Eglot: support clangd inactiveRegions extension
From: Filippo Argiolas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:41:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,
I've recently been working in some big C project with ton of ifdefs
and inactive code regions.

One of the few annoyances (maybe the last) remaining with emacs+eglot
is the inability to show these regions as grayed out in a LSP aware
way.

This was maybe possibile until now with clangd with semantic tokens
but they've recently introduced a new protocol extension that should
solve this problem in a much easier to implement way.

It's been introduced in clangd 17 with the review [1].

It should be pretty straightforward to implement as it's just a server
notification that sends inactive regions ranges once enabled.

In [2] you can find the pull request that added support for this in
vscode clangd extension.

I did some experiment on my own but I'm still not able to see the
notifications. Probably I'm missing something within eglot code base,
my impression was that enabling the inactiveRegions capability would
get me some Unknown notification message but I wasn't able to see
them.

Anyways it would be great if eglot could support this. Not sure
UI-wise what would be the best approach, vscode patch reduces the
opacity of the inactive regions but rendering them as comment would
also be nice at first.

1. https://reviews.llvm.org/D143974
2. https://github.com/clangd/vscode-clangd/pull/193/commits/ef75f637e7f79f94064369368ca665861836e482