Subject: bug#65416: Feature request: include first line of file in output

From: "Paul Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:21:37 -0500

Ah - those times show another reason why one might
be motivated to keep requesting more options be added
to grep.

>From those timings, and from looking at the source, it's clear
that the FSF rewrote grep from scratch, sometime back in the
late 1980's or early 1990's, to have fast reads, whereas sed is
still using stdio fread in a classical manner, which is a painfully
slower double copy solution.

If sed were still a widely used command in performance sensitive
applications, it should have some serious TLC applied to its
performance.

However, since the pool of Jurassic Park Dinosaurs who can (and
perhaps do) compose sed commands in their sleep is a nearly
extinct breed, I see no sufficient interest in accepting such a rewrite
of sed, even if it showed up as a proposed checkin.

That grep can even seriously beat perl for such raw read performance
is impressive.  Perl used to be the King of such challenges.

-- 
                Paul Jackson
                [email-masked]