Subject: bug#65403: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Remove some macros in image-dired

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 13:19:01 +0200

Hi,

Here is a patch that removes some macros (ab)use in image-dired.  There
should be no functional changes with this patch.
>From 0d9044c2c7c8f6e83edd943231a2ae0e8752d7f3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:48:01 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] [image-dired] Remove some macros

* lisp/image/image-dired.el (image-dired--movement-command)
(image-dired--movement-command-line): Change macros to functions.
(image-dired--update-after-move): New function for book-keeping
after a move in image-dired.
(image-dired-scroll): Use it.
---
 lisp/image/image-dired.el | 36 +++++++++++++++++-------------------
 1 file changed, 17 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/image/image-dired.el b/lisp/image/image-dired.el
index 8e2e4c6f644..83f228b2d59 100644
--- a/lisp/image/image-dired.el
+++ b/lisp/image/image-dired.el
@@ -724,21 +724,22 @@ image-dired--movement-ensure-point-pos
               (not (if reverse (bobp) (eobp))))
     (forward-char (if reverse -1 1))))
 
-(defmacro image-dired--movement-command (to &optional reverse)
-  `(progn
-     (goto-char ,to)
-     (image-dired--movement-ensure-point-pos ,reverse)
-     (when image-dired-track-movement
-       (image-dired-track-original-file))
-     (image-dired--update-header-line)))
-
-(defmacro image-dired--movement-command-line (&optional reverse)
-  `(image-dired--movement-command
-     (let ((goal-column (current-column)))
-       (forward-line ,(if reverse -1 1))
-       (move-to-column goal-column)
-       (point))
-     ,reverse))
+(defun image-dired--update-after-move (reverse)
+  "Book-keeping after move."
+  (image-dired--movement-ensure-point-pos reverse)
+  (when image-dired-track-movement
+    (image-dired-track-original-file))
+  (image-dired--update-header-line))
+
+(defun image-dired--movement-command (to &optional reverse)
+  (goto-char to)
+  (image-dired--update-after-move reverse))
+
+(defun image-dired--movement-command-line (&optional reverse)
+  (let ((goal-column (current-column)))
+    (forward-line (if reverse -1 1))
+    (move-to-column goal-column)
+    (image-dired--update-after-move reverse)))
 
 (defun image-dired-next-line ()
   "Move to next line in the thumbnail buffer."
@@ -775,10 +776,7 @@ image-dired-scroll
   (let ((goal-column (current-column)))
     (if down (scroll-down) (scroll-up))
     (move-to-column goal-column)
-    (image-dired--movement-ensure-point-pos down)
-    (when image-dired-track-movement
-      (image-dired-track-original-file))
-    (image-dired--update-header-line)))
+    (image-dired--update-after-move down)))
 
 (defun image-dired-scroll-up ()
   (interactive nil image-dired-thumbnail-mode)
-- 
2.40.0

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.3, cairo version
 1.17.8) of 2023-08-13 built on computer
Repository revision: 0d9044c2c7c8f6e83edd943231a2ae0e8752d7f3
Repository branch: mgi/image-dired-no-macros
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101006
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.3 GENERIC.MP#1125 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --without-sound
 --without-compress-install CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.3.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug whitespace magit-patch magit-extras goto-addr
face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit
magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils
dash image-file image-converter image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util cus-start which-func cl-print
emacs-news-mode add-log ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs osm
display-line-numbers help-fns radix-tree js c-ts-common pulse
network-stream sort find-dired bookmark calc-misc calc-alg calc-menu
org-agenda css-mode sgml-mode facemenu imenu vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view
pcvs-util sh-script smie treesit executable vc pascal vc-hg conf-mode
view reveal texinfo texinfo-loaddefs make-mode org-indent oc-basic
org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs mule-util on-screen
gnus-dired bug-reference vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn paredit
time battery cus-load exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
zone speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus
libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace detached-init detached
autorevert filenotify transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase timezone icalendar
gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat
xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode use-package-core repeat
easy-mmode desktop frameset debbugs-autoloads detached-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads finder-inf magit-section-autoloads
md4rd-autoloads dash-autoloads on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads
paredit-autoloads request-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads s-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads tree-mode-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 900229 161063) (symbols 48 61875 4)
 (strings 32 208865 14149) (string-bytes 1 6506204)
 (vectors 16 120376) (vector-slots 8 2340331 93709)
 (floats 8 726 4095) (intervals 56 26669 3775) (buffers 992 97))

-- 
Manuel Giraud