Subject: bug#65391: Acknowledgement (People need to report failing builds even though we have ci.guix.gnu.org for that)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:12:08 -0400

Hi Arne,

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Please don’t remove packages that are broken on the CI. I often had a
> case where no substitute was available but the package built just fine
> locally. This is not a perfect situation (nicer would be to track why it
> doesn’t come from CI — sometimes it’s just a resource problem on the
> CI), but if you removed a package I use that would break all updates for
> me.

I agree!  It'd be important, if we decide to have such a policy, to add
add guards such that packages are only removed as a last resort, after
options have been considered, and when it's been broken for a while with
an issue opened for it, and when it's a real problem with the package,
not with our CI.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim