Subject: bug#65391: People need to report failing builds even though we have ci.guix.gnu.org for that

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:58:44 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Sept 2023 at 09:33, Csepp <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That is not a package problem but a Guix interface problem.  I have been
> saying for a while that there needs to be an option to disable all
> non-trivial local builds by default when you know your machine can't
> handle them.

IMHO, your proposal is orthogonal with the issue at hand: broken
packages.  Other said, the issue is: how to deal with the set of
packages that will not build and we already know it (since weeks,
months or even years for some).

My workstation can handle all the compilations that are required.  My
laptop is able offload to it.  The issue about broken packages is not
about the resources.  It is about burning resources for nothing.

About the issue you are speaking about, we already had discussions in
this direction -- you are not the only one saying "the fix needs to do
X" for a while but please keep in mind that "talking does not cook the
rice". ;-)  Well, maybe you could open a ticket with a concrete
use-case.

Cheers,
simon