Subject: Re: bug#65387: [PATCH] New user option 'submit-emacs-patch-display-help'

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:56:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:33:14 +0200
>> From:  Eshel Yaron via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> This patch adds a user option for disabling the *Patch Help* buffer that
>> `submit-emacs-patch` displays.
>
> Thanks, but why is it important to be able to disable the
> instructions, enough to justify this new option?  I expect experienced
> people not to use this command at all, so its main purpose is for the
> newbies.

Ah I actually find this command quite convenient, except for that
instructions buffer that tends to get in my way.  So I guess this option
is useful for us semi-newbies :)

I don't know if it justifies a new option, as you say, and I don't mind
keeping a modified `submit-emacs-patch` in my config.

I do wonder, since `(info "(emacs)Sending Patches")` recommends using
`submit-emacs-patch` and that always seemed easier than doing `C-x m`
and adding the destination address and the attachment patch afterwards,
what alternative you'd expect experienced users to go with?

Thanks,

Eshel