Subject: Re: bug#65384: 29.1; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: twitch integration broken

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:57:35 -0700

Hi Aleksas,

Aleksas Tunikas <[email-masked]> writes:

> it used to work now it doesnt it gives this error, asked on an irc emacs
> group on libre there was another person experiencing this, tried irssi
> and it works fine! thank you for all your work! http://ix.io/4DYd

On the surface, the problem appears to be that Twitch doesn't send vital
identifying information needed by ERC. Have you tried either workaround
mentioned in the error message by chance? Quoting from your paste:

  Failed to determine network. Please set entry for "-" in
  `erc-networks-alist' or consider calling `erc-tls' with the keyword
  `:id'. See Info:"(erc) Network Identifier" for more.

In case it's not clear, that's asking you to try something like

  (push '(twitch "-") erc-networks-alist)

before connecting, or, alternatively, connecting with something like

  (erc-tls :server "irc.chat.twitch.tv"
           :port 6697
           :nick "me"
           :password "..."
           :id 'twitch)

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Twitch credentials, so I can't try
this myself. If those workarounds don't work, please run

  M-x erc-toggle-debug-irc-protocol RET

before invoking `erc-tls' as you normally would, and then send the
contents of the buffer "*erc-protocol*" in reply to this email.

Thanks,
J.P.