Subject: bug#65383: closed (Re: bug#65383: [gnome-team] Nothing is reproducible anymore)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 18:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65383: [gnome-team] Nothing is reproducible anymore

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65383: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65383
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65383: [gnome-team] Nothing is reproducible anymore
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:56:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The culprit has been found [1] and arrested [2].  It turns out that the
ungexp Bruno used at the time was "too wide", resulting in a new .drv
for shared-mime-info each time.  This wasn't caught during review,
because who has time to build things twice?

What are the lessons learned from this?
1. Closely look at when and how you use ungexp.
2. Actually build things multiple times ;)
Perhaps we can also add this to the things to check in continuous
integration, though with the fair amount of known unreproducible
packages, I'm not so sure of how great this will go.

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

Cheers

[1] http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2023-08-19.log#184540
[2] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=gnome-team&id=e43498b32dcbbf055d72339086213cd60c336acf

Subject: [gnome-team] Nothing is reproducible anymore
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:18:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have absolutely no idea how this came to be:

sh-5.1$ ./pre-inst-env guix build gdk-pixbuf --dry-run
substitute: Liste der Substitute von „https://ci.guix.gnu.org“ wird
aktualisiert … 100.0%
substitute: Liste der Substitute von „https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org“
wird aktualisiert … 100.0%
The following derivations would be built:
  /gnu/store/sn4avcl518i75r6595ns5k1w22m1h93z-gdk-pixbuf-2.42.8.drv
  /gnu/store/z359nfywzyhbfydbnv05h1cc3av2fqbc-shared-mime-info-2.2.drv
sh-5.1$ ./pre-inst-env guix build gdk-pixbuf --dry-run
substitute: Liste der Substitute von „https://ci.guix.gnu.org“ wird
aktualisiert … 100.0%
substitute: Liste der Substitute von „https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org“
wird aktualisiert … 100.0%
The following derivations would be built:
  /gnu/store/50pk294x08jpgzpag8z4877pa6s5bc8h-gdk-pixbuf-2.42.8.drv
  /gnu/store/5375hf13vnxab7lyrbxqg3ss7q39lxml-shared-mime-info-2.2.drv

The hash changes with each run.  What the hell is going on?