Subject: bug#65380: [PATCH] Add command to copy contents in a diff-mode buffer

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:48:03 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:53:58 +0000
>> 
>> This command solves a long-standing annoyance I have had when working
>> with diffs.  To my knowledge there is no existing way to achieve this
>> (rectangular selection might be possible, but that behaves differently
>> when the text is yanked).  The binding "w" seems intuitive when
>> contrasted with "M-w", but might be confused with "W" (widen).  Not sure
>> if that is an issue or not.
>
> Please tell more about the use cases where this would be useful.  I
> couldn't understand that from the patch itself.

A simple example is where someone sends me a patch with a Elisp function
I'd like to evaluate.  If I can't or don't want to apply the patch right
now, I can use `diff-kill-ring-save' to copy the function without the
leading "+" into my scratch buffer and evaluate it there.

> Thanks.